The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act was approved by Congress and includes support for higher education in the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund. As a result, WSU received aid in the form of two grants from the Department of Education totaling $21,768,544. One of these grants is intended for emergency financial aid grants to students facing expenses due to the coronavirus, and the second is intended to provide the institution with relief for costs associated with significant changes to the delivery of instruction due to coronavirus. Mandatory reporting elements for the student-focused grant can be found at WSU’s Student Care Network website. The following reporting elements are associated with the institutional grant.
As of June 30, 2020:
- WSU has been awarded $10,884,272.00 for relief of institutional expenses associated with significant changes to the delivery of instruction due to coronavirus.
- WSU has received a total of $10,282,444.56 of this award.
- To date, these funds have been used to recover lost revenue from housing and dining services, to purchase hot spots for internet access, to provide refunds for student parking passes and to refund study abroad program application fees.
- WSU has not created nor retained any jobs specifically as a result of this award.
- WSU has not awarded any subcontracts or subgrants related to this award.
- Management of the CARES Act grant funds is a team effort; the Vice President for Finance and Administration authorizes expenses to this award, while partners in the Controller’s Office and Sponsored Programs Services review, process and help ensure the use of these funds comply with applicable regulations and policies. Decisions related to the use of this award are made in consultation with WSU’s Executive Policy Group, as part of the COVID-19 Incident Command Structure. All employees involved in expending and accounting for funds are trained and follow WSU BPPM 10.04, related to Internal Controls.
More information will be added to this page as it becomes available – please check back regularly.
- WSU Resources
- WSU Student Financial Services: CARES Act and COVID-19 Financial Assistance to Students
- WSU COVID-19 Homepage
- WSU Office of Research COVID-19 Guidance
- WSU Office of Research COVID-19 Q&A
- 20200616 Staged Return to Human Subjects Research
- 20200608 Staged Return to On-Site Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activities
- 20200317 – VPFA – COVID-19 Expense and Revenue Recovery Tracking
- Federal Guidance
- COGR FAQs and Resources Related to COVID-19 Impact on Federal Awards
- COGR Institutional and Agency Responses to COVID-19 and Additional Resources
- Includes OMB memos M-20-11, M-20-17, M-20-18, M-20-20, M-20-21, M-20-23, M-20-26
- Includes COGR’s Matrix of Agency-Specific Guidance
- 20200528 COGR Costing and Financial Compliance FAQs (Update #3)
- ACE COVID-19 Homepage
- COGR’s Webinar Series on COVID-19